Friday, February 19, 2010

Dad ... the Cool Fool

"What do you mean ... I'm funny? What do you mean ... you mean the way I talk? What? ... But I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown ... I amuse you? I make you laugh ...? What do you mean funny ... funny how? How am I funny?" Joe Pesci's character - Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas

Yes ... I'm a fool dad. And ... yes ... I'm here to amuse you.

I'm not stating that I'm or any other dad is a fool ... not even close! It's just that since I'm a dad I've played a fool more often than before fatherhood. You see ... I find myself doing the silliest things all day, every day. I've made up more songs on the spot than the best writers from Capitol Records. I speak in enough voices to make Rich Little jealous! And dancing! Well ... it isn't good ... but I jump around and boogie all over the place. And this all doesn't even count the funny faces, zrberts, fart noises and everything else I do on a daily basis.

Ever worn a diaper? ... On your head? Um ... I have. Before your imagination gets out of hand let me explain: Sometimes when I would change my son I'd need him to smile and giggle rather than squirm around. So ... on my head plops a diaper (a new, clean one of course, I'm not that much of a fool). Without fail my son would laugh out loud and I'd get a new diaper on him without much trouble. I fully expect to use the diaper trick on my grandbabies when that day comes.

See ... being a dad means taking one for the team. If I have to jump around and distort my face to keep the kids happy ... then so be it. Heck ... it's loads of fun! Life gets pretty serious at times so it's nice to let go, be silly and laugh with the kids.

And really ... what sound is better than a child's laugh? Not much!

So ... I'm a Clown ... a Jester ... one cool Fool. But ... as long as it makes my kids laugh ... I'll be a Fool and Love it!

Just another day in the life of this Dad. Just another day of continued happiness on earth!

1 comment:

  1. That makes me smile because I am thinking your house growing up was a little different! Could never see your dad with a diaper on his head.

    ReplyDelete