Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snugglebugs, Cuddlebugs and Hugs

"Dad? I don't want to go bed right now ... can I stay up and snuggle with you?"

Questions of the heart and soul can add a significant eternal perspective in my life on a daily basis.

Being the type of man I am, I truly enjoy those hours in the evening when I have time to myself, can enter my man cave, and reflect on the days happenings and look to the coming days as to what I need to continue to accomplish. Those moments of quietness to ponder are few and sacred. A moment of peace and tranquility.

It is in these moments that my youngest 8 year old son will sheepishly sneak up behind me to ask that simple, tender question: "Dad ... can I snuggle with you?" With that phrase, the cares of work, the world and all that surrounds me vanishes and the eternal view of my precious child awakens me to the true meaning and purpose of life.

Books, work, emailings are all set aside as this little one grabs his blanket and pillow to eek out a few more minutes of awakeness before he succumbs to the sandman. Then with all the stillness of a Mexican jumping bean ... he snuggles. These tender moments truly soften my heart from all the hardness the world would intend to instill. My testimony of the Plan of Happiness is strengthened in the knowledge that as peaceful as my own quite moments alone are, they are nothing when compared with the magnitude and love that comes from my family!

Funny thing is ... all my kids from 8 to 18 enjoy their snuggle time with dad. Whether its in watching their favorite TV show or movie, or simply just talking and listening to the important things in their lives. But with all the snuggles and the cuddles ... the hugs are the cherry on top, the embrace and "I love you's" can't be beat.

The sore muscles never seem to ache as I carry the little one upstairs to his bed. Laying him down ... tucking him in and giving him a hug and a kiss on the forhead, with a final "I love you Son" you think would be the touching moment. It's not ... rather, its the with his eyes still closed and head turning to the side and huge ear-to-ear smile and "I love you too Dad!" that makes a grown man's heart swell with gratitude!

The snuggles, the cuddles and yes the hugs are the sanity for my insanity. It was what a life worth living is made up of. As a dad ... I couldn't ask for or be blessed with anything better. Just another day in the life of this dad. Just another day of continued happiness on earth!

3 comments:

  1. That is so so sweet! What a wonderful gift it will be for your children to be able to read these things you will write. My dad would write me(and I'm sure my siblings) letters when I was growing up. He writes us all a Christmas letter every year, and asks us to write one to him. I've saved every one, and still pull them out and read them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome writer you are Robert! Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete